UPDATE: Application deadlines have been *extended* to Monday, February 11th. Visit Eventbrite to apply now!
The 23rd Annual Piano Ensemble Festival is a one-day event taking place on February 23, 2019 in which piano teams of all ages and levels come together to share in a friendly competitive environment. Pianists of all ages will have the opportunity to perform in front of our world-class judges during the day and outstanding ensembles will be invited back to perform in a spectacular concert at night. The Concert will be free and open to the public.
Please carefully examine the chart and rules below to determine the appropriate categories for your ensemble. If you have questions about which category you should enter, please e-mail Jeremy Siskind at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Category:||Ages:||Minute Maximum||Entry Fee (per performer)|
|1||7 years and under||5||$35|
|2||8-12 years old||7||$40|
|3||13-18 years old||8||$45|
|8||Three or More Pianists||7||$35|
- A pianist may only be part of one entry per category and no more than three entries in total. Performance teams may encompass pianists from multiple age groups. These groups must enter the category of the oldest performer as of the date of the festival, February 23, 2018.
- Performers may play as many pieces as they like so long as they fit within the allotted time for their category. Any groups going over the allotted time will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of the judges.
- All participating pianists will receive written evaluations by two experienced adjudicators. Please bring a score with numbered measure to give to the judges.
- Music need not be memorized, but no page turners will be provided. Please arrange for a page turner, if needed.
- For Category 5, all performers should be adults (25+). Piano teachers are welcome. Performers should not be enrolled full-time in college.
- For Category 6, pianists of all ages are welcome to apply, but they must improvise as part of their performance. This category will be judged by a single jazz piano expert.
- Pieces performed in Category 7, should be an original work of the applicant. The applicant can be any age and must be one of the pianists performing. Applicants will be adjudicated on both the composition and performance.
- Teams may not repeat repertoire they’ve previously performed at our festival
Outstanding groups from each category will be presented at an evening concert on the day of the festival. The performers will meet in room 1111 at 7 PM for performance order orientation. All festival participants should plan to be present and must attend the concert in order to receive their certificates.
- Certificates will be awarded to all performers but will only be available at the evening concert.
- Outstanding ensembles in each category will receive a trophy and be invited to perform at The Circle of Winners evening concert.
- One grand prize will be awarded in each category to the most outstanding group.
- Judging decisions are final and may not be appealed.
- In the event that a category receives a single entry, a grand prize may not be awarded.
February 10, 2019 - Teachers notified of their students' performance time and location
February 23, 2019 - Fullerton College Piano Ensemble Festival
Applications will be processed in the order they are received. Applications received after the deadline or with mistakes that need correction will be subject to a $20 processing fee. Any late applications will be processed only after the processing fee is received. Teachers will be notified of their students’ performance times and room by Saturday, February 10th, 2019.
Please contact us with your questions or comments.Jeremy Siskind
Fullerton College Music Department
321 E. Chapman Avenue
Fullerton, CA 92832-2095
You may use Eventbrite to start the registration process. Alternatively, for those who prefer to complete the registration process by paper, please download the application packet and mail to Jeremy Siskind / Fullerton College Music Department / 321 E. Chapman Avenue / Fullerton, CA 92832-2095 , postmarked on or before January 28, 2019.